Vegetable omelette with pea shoots
Healthy, full of flavour, and done in virtually no time, this vegetable omelette with pea shoots is an ode to the awesomeness that are simple, fresh ingredients. Be it a savoury breakfast, a quick lunch, or even a filling snack – this vegetable omelette is the answer. The pea shoot microgreens give a special twist to this quick and healthy recipe, both in the omelette and sprinkled on top.
- 2 tbsp olive oil, divided
- 1 shallot thinly sliced
- 4 rashes of pancetta cut into small pieces (optional)
- 4 medium eggs (or 3 large eggs)
- 1 red pepper thinly sliced
- 1 medium carrot, thinly sliced
- 1 tbsp ground oats
- chilli flakes
- herbs of choice (thyme, basil, marjoram and/or oregano are recommended)
- 118 gr My Greens pea shoots
- Heat 1 tbsp of olive oil in a pan until sizzling, and lightly fry the shallot and pancetta.2 tbsp olive oil,
- When the shallot is caramelised and the pancetta is crispy, remove them from the pan and set them aside to cool. Leave the remaining oil in the pan (it’s full of yummy goodness).1 shallot
- Crack the eggs into a bowl and whisk them until frothy.4 medium eggs
- Add the red pepper, carrot and oats, as well as the cooled shallot and pancetta, and mix well.1 red pepper, 1 medium carrot,, 1 tbsp ground oats
- Add salt, pepper, chilli flakes and herbs to taste. Mix well.salt, chilli flakes, herbs of choice
- Add 1 tbsp of olive oil to what remained in the pan and heat until sizzling.2 tbsp olive oil,
- Pour the omelette mixture into the hot pan, cover it with a lid and leave to cook on medium heat for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add 1/2 cup of pea shoots, sprinkling them evenly on top of the omelette.118 gr My Greens pea shoots
- Cover again with the lid and leave to cook for an additional 6 to 7 minutes, or until the top of the omelette is cooked (should not be sticky to touch). Throughout cooking, check the bottom of the omelette every now and then so that it doesn’t catch and burn. If it begins browning too quickly, reduce the heat.
- When cooked, remove from the pan onto a plate and leave to cool slightly before sprinkling with the rest of the pea shoots.
- Serve and enjoy!
This recipe and images courtesy of the Loopy Whisk
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!